Imperfect Love




My love for John Legend brought me to create this poem for all you warriors out there on the path of recovery. This is for all you warriors out there. Inspired by John Legend's song, "All of Me" I found the word love has a hidden meaning that's deep and whole hearted and I am still learning. In the past, love to me was all about giving and doing for others. It was never about me. It was about the people around me. I had the idea of "If they are taken care of and well, I am well." However, that was a value I was taught and what I believed in.  Affection was not shown in my family and there was no discussion about love, therefore I don't crave for physical affection. I had to learn and re parent myself, such as self soothing, baths, music and reading. I learned this on my own with the help of my support system. What it means to be loved. How to love? I wrote this piece in response to a burnout period in 2016 and to cultivating my journey of self love. 

Imperfect Love by Laura Ng

When all of me loves all of you,
Love your curves and imperfections
Love your body like its war winning
Love your mind like it’s a clear river flowing
Love your spirit like its freestyling

When all of me feels all of you,
Feel each nerve connected to your systems as it transmit signals to your brain
Feel each joint connected to your body as it provides a range of motion so you can function
Feel each muscles connected to your body as it relaxes when snow is falling
Feel each part of your skin so clean and smooth

When all of me listens to all you,
Listening to your body aches and pain
Listening to your hopes, dreams and aspirations
Listening to your prayers as you drift to a peaceful sleep
Listening to your spirit and guiding you with a star

When all of me sees all of you
Seeing you for who you are
Seeing you for your hard work, accomplishments and dedication
Seeing your bright future full of opportunities and becoming a superstar
Seeing you for your commitment, perseverance and motivation

When all of me smells all of you
Smelling a fresh lavender scent everywhere you go
Smelling each strand of your silky black hair like oh la la
Smelling your courage on days when you deal with chronic pain
Smelling your bravery every time you fall as you stand too tall




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mindful Gratitude

Reborn Again.

Mental Health and Asian Americans